A. Information We Collect
The Personal Information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with Mailchimp, your Mailchimp account settings, the products and features you use, your location, and applicable law. However, the Personal Information we collect broadly falls into the following categories:
(i) Information you provide to us: You (or your organization) may provide certain Personal Information to us when you sign up for a Mailchimp account and use the Service, consult with our customer service team, send us an email, integrate the Service with another website or service (for example, when you choose to connect your e-commerce account with Mailchimp), or communicate with us in any other way.
This information may include:
- Business contact information (such as your name, job title, organization, location, phone number, email address, and country);
- Marketing information (such as your contact preferences);
- Account log-in credentials (such as your email address or username and password when you sign up for an account with us);
- Troubleshooting and support data (which is data you provide or we otherwise collect in connection with support queries we receive from you. This may include contact or authentication data, the content of your chats and other communications with us, and the product or service you are using related to your help inquiry); and
- Payment information (including your credit card numbers and associated identifiers and billing address).
Service Usage Data may include:
- Device information: We collect information about the device and applications you use to access the Service, such as your IP address, your operating system, your browser ID, viewfinder size, and other information about your system and connection. If you are using our Mobile App, we may also collect information about the cellular network associated with your mobile device, your mobile device’s operating system or platform, the type of mobile device you use, your mobile device’s name and unique device ID, and information about the features of our Mobile App that you accessed.
- Log data: Our web servers keep log files that record data each time a device accesses those servers and the nature of each access, including originating IP addresses and your activity in the Service (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches and other actions you take (for example, which features you used)), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’)), and hardware settings. We may also access metadata and other information associated with files that you upload into our Service.
- Usage data: We collect usage data about you whenever you interact with our Service, which may include the dates and times you access the Service and your browsing activities (such as what portions of the Service you used, session duration, links clicked, non-sensitive text entered, and mouse movements). We also collect information regarding the performance of the Service, including metrics related to the deliverability of emails and other communications you send through the Service. If you are using our Mobile App, we may collect information about how often you use the Mobile App and other performance data. This information allows us to improve the content and operation of the Service, and facilitate research and analysis of the Service.
(iii) Information we collect from other sources: From time to time, we may obtain information about you from third-party sources, such as public databases, social media platforms, third-party data providers, and our joint marketing partners.
Examples of the information we receive from other sources include demographic information (such as age and gender), device information (such as IP addresses), location (such as city and state), and online behavioral data (such as information about your use of social media websites, page view information and search results and links). We use this information, alone or in combination with other Personal Information we collect, to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing and content to you and to develop and provide you with more relevant products, features, and service.
B. Use of Personal Information
We may use the Personal Information we collect or receive through the Service (alone or in combination with other data we source) for the purposes and on the legal bases identified below:
- To communicate with you about your account and provide customer support to perform our contract with you for the use of the Service or where we have not entered into a contract with you, in reliance on our legitimate interests in administering and supporting our Service. For example, if you use our Mobile Apps, we may ask you if you want to receive push notifications about activity in your account. If you have opted in to these push notifications and no longer want to receive them, you may turn them off through your operating system.
- To meet legal requirements, including complying with court orders, valid discovery requests, valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
- To provide information to representatives and advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements in reliance on our legitimate interests.
- To prosecute and defend a court, arbitration, or similar legal proceeding.
- To respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- To provide, support and improve the Service to perform our contract with you for the use of the Service or where we have not entered into a contract with you, in reliance on our legitimate interests in administering and improving the Service and providing certain features. For example, this may include improving the navigation and content of the Service and sharing your information with third parties in order to provide and support our Service or to make certain features of the Service available to you. When we share your Personal Information with third parties, we take steps to protect your information in a manner that is consistent with our obligations under applicable privacy laws.